How female police officer was shot dead by colleague in Rivers

A female police officer, Sergeant Lovender Elekwachi, was shot dead on Thursday in Rivers State by one of her colleagues, Sergeant Bitrus Osaiah, attached to the Rivers State Task Force on Decongestion.

It was gathered that Elekwachi, who is attached to the Eneka police division was on traffic duties at Eneka roundabout in Obio-Akpor local government area of the state when tragedy struck.

Her alleged killer, Osaiah and other members of the Task Froce were reportedly dispersing traders who had gathered at the Eneka market in violation of the lockdown order imposed by the state government as part of measures to curb the spread of COVID-19. Bullet from the riffle of Osaiah hit Elekwachi where she was controlling traffic and she died on the spot.

A statement by the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the State Police command, Nnamdi Omoni, said Osaiah has been disarmed and arrested and is undergoing 'orderly room trial'.

Although Omoni did not give details of how the incident happened, he added that two other members of the task force have also been arrested and are being questioned.

Just a week ago the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) said security operatives deployed to the streets to enforce the lockdown order have killed more people than COVID-19.

NHRC in its report released last Thusrday said security agencies have killed 18 people in Nigeria since the lockdown began on Monday March 30 while COVID-19 had killed 13 people as at the time the report was released.

Rivers State Commissioner of Police Joseph Mukan, who was posted to the state last Friday has ordered investigation into the matter.

The killing is coming exactly a week after the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, ordered the redeployment of the former CP Mustapha Dandaura to the Force headquarters in Abuja and replaced him with Mukan. It is believed that the redeployment of Mustapha is not unconnected with the erratic way the Rivers State Government has been enforcing the ban on movements in the state.

First, Governor Nyesom ordered the arrest of two pilots of Caverton helicopters for flying passengers into the state. A few days later, Wike also announced that 22 staff of Exxon Mobil were arrested for entering the state from Akwa-Ibom state in violation of the lockdown order.

Wike had issued an executive order restricting movements to check the spread of the coronavirus. He had vowed that anyone who defies the law would be arrested and made to face the full wrath of the law.

"I insisted that the law must take its course. This is because nobody is above the law. The law must be tested," Wike said in a press conference broadcast live on AIT last Friday.

The 22 Exxon Mobil workers, however, been released without any charges, the state Attorney-General and Commissioner of Justice, Zaccheus Adangor said on Monday.

The post How female police officer was shot dead by colleague in Rivers appeared first on Neusroom.